September 23-29 is National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week and a good time for all of us to tune into a few facts about literacy. Did you know that……?
- More that 30 million adults in the U.S. – 14% of the country’s adult population – cannot read, write, or do basic math above a third grade level.
- Each year, American employers spend more than $125.9 billion on training, including remedial reading writing, and math skills.
- States that raise high school graduation rates experience significant declines in incarceration rates. A 1% increase in the high school completion rate of all men ages 20 to 60 would save the U.S. as much as $1.4 billion per year in reduced costs from crime.
- Fifty percent of the chronically unemployed are not functionally literate.
- Single mothers who lack a high school degree are much more likely to be on welfare than women who have a high school degree.
Central Vermont Adult Basic Education (CVABE) works to impact these dismal statistics and help people improve their lives by providing adult education and literacy services to all in Washington, Orange, and Lamoille counties. For 48 years CVABE has provided free, personalized, and confidential academic services to adults and teens age 16 and older. Our services range from teaching basic math, reading and writing to high school completion to college and work readiness to instruction for those learning the English language.
Do you know someone who has been putting off getting a GED, or someone who needs to improve her reading skills, or someone who has trouble balancing his checkbook? Support your neighbors, local community and CVABE’s mission by referring those you know who can use CVABE’s services. You can also volunteer your services or make a tax deductible financial donation. Call 476-4588 to find out which of CVABE’s six Learning Centers is closest to you and to learn more about how you can play a vital role in improving our nation’s well-being by improving adult literacy in your own community.
All the facts listed are published by ProLiteracy, the largest adult literacy and basic education membership organization in the U.S., of which CVABE is a proud member. For more information on how adult literacy is affecting every facet of our lives, visit our website www.cvabe.org and refer to ProLiteracy under “Links.”
Central Vermont Adult Basic Education