Start the New Year out right with a hike in a Vermont State Park. On January 1, 2014, join one of the free, guided hikes taking place in state parks throughout Vermont. There are easy hikes suitable for families with small children, moderate hikes, challenging hikes and even a dog hike. Professional guides and outdoor educators will lead the way, sharing their knowledge and love of the Vermont outdoors.
Don’t need a guide? Then get outside at the state park of your choice. They are always available and close by to all of us. Entry is free and you will discover a whole new world in the winter.
Bring the whole family! Dress for the weather; bring snowshoes if there is a lot of snow. Bring some beverages and snacks. Dogs are welcome on leash. You don’t need to pre-register, just show up. To check the status of the hikes call 802-249-1230. Update messages will be posted on Dec. 31st and January 1st. Check out the website at www.vtstateparks.com for more information and more hikes as they are added!
• Underhill State Park: Meet: 10am at the Stevensville Trailhead, Stevensville Road. Hike: 3 miles, moderate terrain on trails to the Nebraska Notch bridge and return.
• Camel’s Hump State Park: Meet: 9am at On the Rise Bakery in Richmond. Hike: A 4-mile round trip, moderately difficult, up the Burrows Trail and back.
• Groton Nature Center, Big Deer State Park: Meet: 1pm at Groton State Forest Nature Center parking area on Boulder Beach Road, 1.6 miles from Route 232. Hike: 1 hour +, easy terrain.
• Molly Stark State Park: Meet: 10am at the Hogback Conservation Association trailhead at the Hogback Summit. Hike: 2 hours +/-, moderate terrain on park roads and trails following the ridge to Hogback Mountain,
• Kingsland Bay State Park: Meet: 1pm at the entrance to Kingsland Bay State Park. Hike: 1 1/2 hours on easy park roads trails through the park and natural area. NOTE: Parking is limited to 10 cars so please carpool.
• Mount Pisgah: Meet: 10am at the south end parking lot. Hike: 45 mins to 1 hour, moderate hike up to ledge. Good for families.
• Grand Isle State Park: Meet: 10am by park office. Hike: 1 hour, easy loop hike on Ironwood Nature Trail.
• Ricker Pond State Park: Meet: 10am at Ricker Pond State Park entrance. Hike: 2 hour easy walk.
• Silver Lake State Park: Meet: 1pm at the Town Clerk Office parking lot in Barnard (100 yards from the park entrance). Hike: 1.5 hours, easy guided nature walk.
• Niquette Bay State Park: Meet: noon at trailhead in State Park. Hike: 2 moderate hikes on loops through park, 2 hours. One hike will be for dog owners, one for non-dog owners.